Silicon carbide abrasive is made by high temperature smelting of raw materials such as quartz sand, petroleum coke (or coal coke), wood chips (salt is needed to produce green silicon carbide) and other raw materials through resistance furnace. Silicon carbide(SiC) also exists in nature, a rare mineral, moissanite.
Silicon carbide is also called moissanite. Among the non-oxide high-tech refractory raw materials such as C, N, and B, silicon carbide is a widely used and economical one, which can be called gold steel grit or refractory sand.
At present, the industrially produced silicon carbide abrasives are divided into black silicon carbide and green silicon carbide, both of which are hexagonal crystals, with a specific gravity of 3.20-3.25, and a microhardness of 2840-3320kg/mm2.
Namely: functional ceramics, advanced refractories, abrasives and metallurgical raw materials. Silicon carbide abrasives can already be supplied in large quantities and cannot be regarded as a high-tech product, and the application of nano-scale silicon carbide powder with extremely high technical content is unlikely to form economies of scale in a short time.
1. As an abrasive, it can be used to make abrasive tools, such as abrasive grinding wheels, oilstones, grinding heads and sand tiles.
2. As a metallurgical deoxidizer and high temperature resistant material.
3. High-purity single crystals can be used to manufacture semiconductors and silicon carbide fibers.
1. Silicon carbide abrasive is used for wire cutting of 3-12 inch monocrystalline silicon, polycrystalline silicon, potassium arsenide, quartz crystal, etc. Engineering processing materials for the solar photovoltaic industry, semiconductor industry, and piezoelectric crystal industry.
2. Silicon carbide abrasives are used in semiconductors, lightning rods, circuit components, high temperature applications, ultraviolet light detectors, structural materials, astronomy, disc brakes, clutches, diesel particulate filters, filament pyrometers, ceramic films, cutting tools, heating elements, nuclear fuel, jewelry, steel, protective gear, catalyst support and other fields.
For more information about silicon carbide abrasives, please follow ZIBO RIKEN MT COATED ABRASIVES CO., LTD.